The Governor’s Horse Guard of Connecticut are a unit of the State Defense Forces. They consist of two companies.
The First Company was created in 1788 as the Independent Volunteer Troop of Horse Guards in Hartford. A second company was created in 1808 in New Haven. Both were created to serve and protect the governor between his travels between New Haven and Hartford.