The 7th Maryland Regiment was authorized on 16 September 1776, for service with the Continental Army and was assigned on 27 December 1776. The regiment was composed of eight companies of volunteers organized from Frederick and Baltimore counties of the colony of Maryland. On 22 May 1777, it was assigned to the 1st Maryland Brigade. Re-organized on 12 May 1779 to nine companies. The 1st Maryland Brigade was re-assigned to the Southern Department on 5 April 1780. The regiment would see action during the Battle of Brandywine, Battle of Germantown, Battle of Monmouth, Battle of Camden and the Battle of Guilford Court House. The regiment was disbanded on 1 January 1783, at Annapolis, Maryland.