Fort Barrington, renamed Fort Howe during the American Revolutionary War, was a fort in Georgia. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on September 27, 1972. The fort is located northwest of Cox, Georgia, near Sansavilla.
The fort was used by the British from 1751 – 1780’s, first in defense from the Spaniards and Indians, and then during the Revolutionary War. It was used again during the 1860s. It is located on the Altamaha River.
It changed hands during the Revolutionary War and was used during the American Civil War. A historical marker for the site is located on GA 57 at the Long – McIntosh County line.