Fort Clinton was an American Revolutionary War fortification in present-day Highlands, Orange County, New York. It was a companion to Fort Montgomery. Its garrison of 300 was smaller than that of Fort Montgomery, but Fort Clinton was built on a ridge at the mouth of the Popolopen Gorge, overlooking the Hudson River, and its defenses were more complete. The fort was commanded by General James Clinton, for whom it was probably named.
On October 6, 1777, Forts Clinton and Montgomery were attacked by the British 63rd Regiment led by Sir Henry Clinton (no relation). The Battle of Forts Clinton and Montgomery was intense but brief: Both forts were overrun within an hour, and the wounded General Clinton retreated with his men across the Popolopen. Fort Clinton and Fort Montgomery were razed and the Hudson River Chain they defended was dismantled.
Although Fort Montgomery is a National Historic Landmark, most of the original Fort Clinton site was demolished during the construction of U.S. Route 9W and the Bear Mountain Bridge. Today, the site is part of Bear Mountain State Park and is used for the Trailside Museum and Zoo.