The Royal Scots Fusiliers was a regiment of the British Army.
===The Earl of Mar’s Regiment of Foot (‘Mar’s Grey Breeks’) (1678-1695)===
The regiment was raised in Scotland in 1678 by Stuart loyalist Charles Erskine, de jure 5th Earl of Mar for service against the rebel covenanting forces during the Second Whig Revolt (1678-1679). It was used to keep the peace and put down brigands, mercenaries, and rebels. In the Glorious Revolution of 1689, the regiment was ordered south. Initially, it stayed loyal to James II of England; however, when he fled to Ireland, it opted to serve Prince William of Orange. Ironically, the regiment later fought against the Jacobites during the Second Jacobite Rebellion (1745) at the Battle of Culloden in 1746.
===The Scots Fusilier Regiment of Foot (1695-1712)===
The regiment was converted to fusiliers in 1689, but didn’t receive the title officially until 1695. It was nicknamed the “Duke of Marlborough’s Own” for its excellent service in all of the Duke’s campaigns in the War of the Spanish Succession and received the title of “Royal” in 1712.
===21st (Royal North British Fusilier) Regiment of Foot (1713-1877)===
The regiment was renamed the Royal North British Fusilier Regiment of Foot in 1713. It was later numbered the 21st Regiment in 1751, when seniority numbers were introduced.
===21st (Royal Scots Fusiliers) Regiment of Foot (1877-1881)===
The regiment finally saw the restoration of “Scots” in their title in 1877. Although the use of the name during the Georgian era can be proven by reference to swords carried by senior officers circa 1825.
==Childers’ reforms of 1881==
The regiment did not suffer the indignity of being amalgamated, as it already had two regular battalions. However, it did become the County Regiment of Ayrshire, Dumfriesshire, Kirkcudbrightshire, Roxburghshire, Selkirkshire and Wigtownshire in South-West Scotland. This made them a Lowland Regiment and forced them to adopt trews. It also had to lose its numbering, becoming the Royal Scots Fusiliers.
==Amalgamations of 1959==
The Royal Scots Fusiliers were amalgamated with the Highland Light Infantry (City of Glasgow Regiment) in 1959 to form The Royal Highland Fusiliers, (Princess Margaret’s Own Glasgow and Ayrshire Regiment). The regular 1st battalions of the two Regiments combined at Redford Barracks, Edinburgh to form the 1st battalion of the new regiment (1 RHF).
The Regiment was awarded the following battle honours. Those shown in bold from the two World Wars were those selected to be emblazoned on the King’s Colour.