The 4th Pennsylvania Regiment, first known as the 3rd Pennsylvania Battalion, was raised December 9, 1775 at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania for service with the Continental Army. The regiment was assigned to Thomas Mifflin’s brigade in the main army on June 26, 1776. Part of the unit was captured at Fort Washington on November 16, 1776. The regiment fought at Brandywine, Paoli, Germantown, Monmouth and the Sullivan Expedition. The regiment was furloughed January 17, 1781 at Trenton, New Jersey and disbanded on January 1, 1783.