The 6th Maryland Regiment was organized on 27 March 1776 composed of eight companies of volunteers from Prince Georges, Queen Anne’s, Frederick, Cecil, Harford, and Anne Arundel counties in the colony of Maryland.It was authorized on 16 September 1776 for service with the Continental Army and was assigned to the Main Army on 27 December 1776. On 22 May 1777 the regiment was assigned to the 2d Maryland Brigade. It was re-organized to nine companies on 12 May 1779. The 2d Maryland Brigade was re-assigned to the Southern Department on 5 April 1780. The regiment would see action during the Battle of Brandywine, Battle of Germantown, Battle of Monmouth, Battle of Camden and the Battle of Guilford Court House. The regiment was disbanded on 1 January 1783 at Annapolis, Maryland.