Graham Moore of the British Royal Navy


Admiral Sir Graham Moore, GCB, GCMG (1764–1843) was a British sailor and a career officer in the Royal Navy. He was the younger brother of General Sir John Moore.

==Naval career==

Moore was born in Glasgow, Scotland, the son of the doctor and author John Moore, and Jean Simson. He entered the Navy in 1777 at the age of 13. He was promoted to lieutenant on 8 March 1782 to serve aboard {HMS|Crown|1782|2}, taking part in the relief of Gibraltar under Lord Howe, and the subsequent battle of Cape Spartel in October. During the peace he travelled through France, but was recalled to serve aboard {HMS|Perseus|1776|2}, {HMS|Dido|1784|2}, and then {HMS|Adamant|1780|2}, the flagship of Sir Richard Hughes on the North American Station. On 22 November 1790 he was promoted to commander in the sloop {HMS|Bonetta|1779|2}, before finally returning to England in 1793.

Moore was promoted to post-captain on 2 April 1794, soon after the start of the Revolutionary War, with command of the 32-gun frigate {HMS|Syren|1782|2}, in the North Sea and the coast of France. He then commanded the 36-gun frigate {HMS|Melampus|1785|2} from September 1795. In her he took part in the Battle of Tory Island on 12 October 1798, capturing the {Ship|French frigate|Résolue|1778|2|up=yes} two days later. In February 1800 he went out to the West Indies, but was invalided home after eighteen months.

On the renewal of the war in 1803 he was appointed to {HMS|Indefatigable|1784|2} (44), and with three other frigates — {HMS|Medusa|1801|2} (32), {HMS|Lively|1804|2} (38) and {HMS|Amphion|1798|2} (32) — under his command, captured a Spanish treasure fleet of four frigates — Medea (40), Clara (34), Fama (34) and Mercedes (36) — carrying bullion from the Caribbean back to Spain off Cadiz in the Action of 5 October 1804.

Moore was then attached to Sir Robert Calder’s squadron blockading Ferrol. In 1808, he served as commodore, flying his broad pennant in the new ship {HMS|Marlborough|1807|2} assisting Admiral Sir Sidney Smith with the Portuguese royal family’s escape to Brazil, and was subsequently made a Knight of the Order of the Tower and Sword.

He later served as part of the North Sea fleet for several years. At the close of the Walcheren campaign in December 1809, he was entrusted with destroying the basin, arsenal, and sea defences of Flushing.

Moore commanded {HMS|Chatham|1812|2} from March 1812, until promoted to rear-admiral on 12 August 1812, and served as Commander-in-Chief in the Baltic for a short time, flying his flag in {HMS|Fame|1805|6}. In 1814 he served as captain of the fleet to Lord Keith in the Channel, and became second-in-command, Mediterranean Fleet in 1815. Following the end of the war he served on the Board of Admiralty between 1816 and 1820, being promoted to vice-admiral in 12 August 1819. He was Commander-in-Chief, Mediterranean Fleet between 1820 and 1823, promoted to full admiral on 10 January 1837, and served as Commander-in-Chief, Plymouth from 1839 to 1842 flying his flag in {HMS|Impregnable|1810|2}.

Moore died at his home, Brook Farm, Cobham, Surrey, on 25 November 1843, and was buried at St. Andrew’s Church.


In 1812 he married Dora Eden, daughter of Thomas Eden, and niece of William Eden, 1st Baron Auckland; they had one son, Captain John Moore, RN (d. 1866).


Moore kept a detailed diary from 1784 until 1806, later published in thirty-seven volumes, which provides a unique account of his service as a lieutenant, commander and captain.


Several places were named in his honour: the Sir Graham Moore Islands, Cape Graham Moore, and Graham Moore Bay, in northern Canada were named by William Parry, while the Sir Graham Moore Islands, Western Australia, were named by Phillip Parker King.