The Armory of the Kentish Guards is a historic armory at Armory and Peirce Streets in East Greenwich, Rhode Island and is currently home to the Kentish Guards, a historic state militia organization.
The Kentish Guards were founded in 1774 just prior to the American Revolution. The Greek Revival armory building was constructed in 1843 with a $1,000 public grant from the Rhode Island General Assembly to the Kentish Guards for their aid in the Dorr Rebellion in 1842. In 1970 the building was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
The Armory contains a gallery of pictures featuring former members of the Guard. The original charter hangs on the wall as a lasting reminder and a memorial to those men who organized the Kentish Guards in 1774.
The Kentish Guards Armory may be visited on Tuesdays, when the militia company meets, and Wednesdays, when the fife & drum rehearses, both around 8:00 pm (except during holiday periods) and by special appointment. Visit www.kentishguards.org for more information.