Nathan Hale – Continental Army Officer – New Hampshire


Nathan Hale (September 23, 1743 – September 23, 1780) was an American soldier. Born in Hampstead, New Hampshire, he soon moved with his father to Rindge, New Hampshire. Hale participated in the American Revolutionary War and fought in the Battle of Lexington and Concord, Battle of Bunker Hill, Siege of Fort Ticonderoga, and Battle of Hubbardton. In the last one, Hale was taken prisoner by the British. He died on September 23, 1780.

== Service in the American Revolution ==

In 1774, Hale became the captain of a militia company of minute men. Once Hale was told of the Battle of Lexington on April 19, 1775, he and his fifty men marched to Cambridge, Massachusetts to join the Army of Observation.

On June 2, 1775, Hale was commissioned as a captain in the 3rd New Hampshire Regiment. They fought at the Battle of Bunker Hill on June 17, 1775. The Army of Observation (consisting of militiamen from Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Hampshire and Rhode Island) had about 2,400 men and the British had over 3,000. The colonies suffered 450 casualties and the British suffered 1,054 casualties in what has been described as a British Pyrrhic victory.

Hale was promoted to lieutenant-colonel of the 2nd New Hampshire Regiment on November 8, 1776.

He was promoted to colonel on April 2, 1777. In the same year he served with Major General Arthur St. Clair at the Siege of Fort Ticonderoga. The Siege took place from July 2–6, 1777 and was between the United States against the British. Arthur St. Clair led about 3,000 men against John Burgoyne and William Phillips who led 7,000 men as well as about 800 Indians and Canadians Not much was done in the battle and Burgoyne took over Fort Ticonderoga and Fort Independence while the Americans retreated.

Hale fought in the Battle of Hubbardton where he was taken prisoner by the British on July 7, 1777. His surrender there was the subject of controversy. Hale was arrested for treason but was never allowed a trial to explain himself. He was later released on limited parole on the condition that Hale was not allowed to serve in the Army and he had to come back to the enemy lines after two years unless he was exchanged. He returned to Rindge, New Hampshire on July 20, 1777. Since he was not exchanged, Hale returned to prison on June 14, 1779. Hale died on September 23, 1780 in New Utrecht, Brooklyn while in prison.